Wednesday, May 29, 2013

April 22, 2013

Dear Family,

  So, hopefully everyone understands that I was kept here in Bluffdale/Riverton and my previous comp got sent to Kamas. Kamas is out past Park City, just keep heading east. It's out in the middle of nowhere.
  My shirts and suits are holding up. Only if y'all could send me another short sleeve white shirt that would be great. I wear size 15 collar and I guess the size would be a medium? Perhaps a small? I have no clue!
  Well Mom, we actually finished reading the New Testament, and its funny that you ask what we are reading next because we just got that assignment today. Starting tomorrow morning we're going to be reading Preach My Gospel. The Brethren are worried that missionaries aren't following Preach My Gospel. We're reading 6 pages a day starting tomorrow which is actually pretty exciting. Reading it all together as a mission is powerful. To go along the lines with reading, this past week I just finished reading Jesus the Christ cover to cover. Up to date in my mission, I have read the Book of Mormon twice, the New Testament, The Pearl of Great Price, Our Search For Happiness. I'm halfway through reading Our Heritage, just short of 10 sections left in Doctrine and Covenants, and I'm in 3 Nephi 28 in the Spanish Book of Mormon. Looking back, I can't believe I've read so much.
  So Elder Allen is my 'son' and I only trained him for about a transfer. I then got moved to another Elder, Elder Smith and I trained him for his second transfer. So I guess I have two half sons and Elder Allen has trained two visa waiters so I guess technically I'm a grandpa in the mission! Also Taylor, I went to both morning sessions of conference.
  Something you mentioned Taylor was a very good way to describe how I'm coming along right now. I'm finding that way of being both myself, and being a missionary. I think it's funny because even though I'm in an area that is very trying and difficult, I find myself growing faster and faster. This area is really fun, and it's so easy now to have fun. For example, this past week wasn't very eventful and we didn't have 'fantastic' numbers, but I just remember it was a fun week. This area is also a very testimony trying area. There are a lot of anti-mormons here, including ex-members that think they know everything. Not only that, with all the polygamists here, they throw curve balls at literally every single point of doctrine in our church. It's hard to keep things straight sometimes but somehow the testimony just comes out stronger in the end.
  Just know that I'm having fun and being happy and enjoying my mission! Thanks for all the support!
Love y'all

Elder Parks

P.S The attached picture is what me and my Australian companion used for our missionary posters (yes we know the flash was in it but it was ok for us)

No comments:

Post a Comment