Monday, August 20, 2012

August 13, 2012

Dear Family,

  So yes I am training. I received a new missionary fresh from the MTC, and his name is Elder Allen! He lived in my hall during summer semester at BYU. He is a good missionary. He has a strong desire to serve and to learn as well. I was very happy to have been assigned to him. I saw Elder Toborg and saw that he was assigned to my last companion Elder Gomez. It was funny because all the trainers and new missionaries are in the chapel together and President assigns each companionship from the podium. Elder Toborg and Elder Allen were the last two missionaries to be assigned so I was really nervous about which one I was going to get. So I'm training a brand new missionary in the same area in West Valley. I'm starting to get a little tired of this area. 19 weeks of the same place has been kind of tiring. However, I'll do whatever I'm asked.
  So now the situation is crazy in the mission. We have around 180 missionaries, and of those missionaries, some 90 missionaries have only been out in the field for 3 transfers or less. President told us that we can't afford to mess up, at all.
  The boy that we baptized last week got hit by a car and couldn't come to church yesterday! He only has a bad bruise on his leg but he says it hurts a lot and he couldn't walk very far. He still needs to get confirmed and receive the Holy Ghost.
  Well I didn't know y'all would be that close to me. It kind of stinks that we can't see each other.
  I wish my emails could have more stuff in them! A lot of the things I want to share can only be explained in person, or just by experiencing it for one's self. For example, something I find hilarious here is that I always seem to see homeless people on what look like brand new bikes. When I think about it more, I realize that the bike actually belongs to a kid who I saw riding it the week before. Somehow though, the bike always gets back to the kid. There are many ice cream trucks here that look really shady. The people here are interesting too. I was talking to one guy at a street corner and he asked if I wanted to talk to his friend. When he asked that he put his arm around his 'friend' who was actually an imaginary friend. Then the guy proceeded to ask me if I found a credit car, then he asked me if he could have my personal credit card. The people here are interesting. We also have many Tongan families who never stop giving us food. Another guy goes around selling ice cream in a shopping cart, and I pretty sure people need licenses to do that (right?), meth labs exploding, dogs chasing us only to receive a swift foot to the face, tricked out cars with blaring basses that make it sound like the car is going to fall apart at any moment...it's a fun place!
  We got another baptism scheduled this week! Another person entering into a covenant with God.
  I guess that's all I have for now. I'm starting to write down more moments in the little book Matt and Taylor gave me for Christmas, so next week should be interesting. Oh yeah, we have a car now and we're sharing it every other week with another companionship in the zone. I actually like riding bikes more I think.
  Oh yeah one more question, Matt, how did you have fun on the mission while still being obedient? I'm kind of having a problem right now where I'm not having fun. My Mission President says that I need to loosen up but I don't really know how to do that.

Thanks for the emails! Mom and Hannah, hope you have fun in Utah. Dad tell Bishop Sagers and Brother Aldridge congratulations on their callings. Write y'all next week!

Elder Parks

No comments:

Post a Comment