Monday, May 21, 2012

May 21, 2012


Dear Family,

So this week has gone by already, everything is starting to pick up
speed. We have another baptism this saturday and hopefully that one
goes better than the last. Last week's baptism...well it was great
that the boy (Michael) got baptized. However, his step dad was a huge
problem. The step dad cancelled numerous appointments, pushed back
Michael's baptismal date twice, forces Michael to attend an english
ward where: 1) Michael doesn't understand anything because he doesn't
speak english, 2) there are no youth (no deacons, teachers, or
priests) 3) and hardly anyone speaks spanish in that ward. The entire
thing was frustrating too, because the step dad wouldn't let us
baptize Michael, nor be witnesses at the baptism, nor confer Michael.
The confirmation was given in broken spanish. And now, the ward won't
let us visit Michael anymore. I know that's part of fellowshipping but
the ward mission leader is now teaching Michael and my spanish is
better than his. So yeah, don't get me wrong, I am very happy that
Michael was baptized. It was just an annoying situation. So yes
baptisms will be the best after this.

Thanks for the packages! As for the donuts, they were edible :) Thanks
for the additional food as well. Everybody here says I'm too skinny
and wants to get me fat! "Oh Elder Parks, esta muy flaco!"  (you are
very skinny). It's rediculous and it doesn't help me for the goals I
have after my mission. Moving on from that, the tires fit and thank
you very much for them because my back tire blew the day before I
recieved the packages. Everything is good though now!
Spanish is coming along. I'm doing good with the listening part but
it's still been very hard to speak. In time though, I'm actually
getting to frustrated with the language. Sometimes it's really hard to
calm down...

Interesting story this week. While about to leave a stake center, we
saw someone in a white shirt and tie bike past us with a helmet on. We
thought he was a solo missionary from the north mission. We got a
delayed start as we attempted to chase him down and catch in. We got
stopped by a stoplight so we started to lag. We persued, and followed
him to a stake center where we found out that he was in high school
and was going to a chior rehersal at church....problem solved but it
was fun!

Well this just in, we got a car!!! Now I'm gonna gain 40 pounds! Just
kidding, we're only gonna use in on sunday, P-Day, and zone workouts
(we play dodgeball! It's so much fun). Oh by the way, Taylor we only
go by Chik-fil-a but there is an In-n-out in Jordan landing and we go
there every other P-Day so we may go by there soon.

We have some investigators but we need more. Right now the problems we
have that are preventing baptisms are marriages and divorces and
possiblities of being deported. Never thought I would have to talk
about this stuff when I'm 19 years old. As for tracting, we don't do
much door to door (unless I'm on an exchange with the english elders).
We do a lot of door contacting though so we're not always just
teaching. With transfers, this is the beginning of the 2nd week of the
2nd transfer.

Well, I have pictures of the partial lunar eclipse that happened
yesterday, and a Chilean hotdog! (It has bacon, hotdog, cheese,
guacamole, hot sauce, and tomatoes).

Hope y'all have a good week!

Elder Parks

P.S we're going on a zone hike so next week I'll have more pictures!



No comments:

Post a Comment